When my daughter Lily was born, my mom and I made triple batches of a family Morning Glory Muffin recipe and put them in the freezer. I knew that I would be hungry due to lack or sleep and nursing, but I didn’t know that I would be THAT hungry!! In the middle of the night when my daughter was up to feed I would get so hungry that I would have eaten ANYTHING. Luckily, we had lots of muffins (although they only lasted a week or 2!). I would pop them in the toaster (since they were frozen) and then add some good fat such as butter or coconut oil. Nursing moms need 500 more calories a day than they did when they were pregnant! Now I understand why I was so hungry.
As I am getting closer to delivering baby number, I realized that I really needed to make some Morning Glory Muffins. But, many things in my life have changed since over 5 years ago when I was pregnant that first time. After Lily was born I had a drastic drop in my overall health and my adrenals and hormones were shot. Which, to make a long story short, ended up in a major food and lifestyle overhaul as well as a change of career the field of health and nutrition! As painful as it was, I really feel blessed in my new career, so I guess things really do happen for a reason 🙂
But, to get back to the point, now with my new lifestyle, the old Morning Glory Recipe wasn’t really within my “healthy standards” now that I am strictly gluten free and avoid refined sugars. So the recipe needed an overhaul and I don’t have the gluten free baking skills to make that happen, but my good friends Hayley and Bill at Primal Palate definitely do!
Not only did Bill and Hayley redo the recipe to be paleo, free from refined sugar and gluten, they also made me a batch, froze them and mailed them to me!!! That is why I love this community.
It took a few tries to get the correct flour combination for the grain free version which you can read about on the Primal Palate blog and also find all of their other fabulous recipes!
Here is the adjusted gluten free recipe created by Hayley and Bill at Primal Palate:
Gluten-Free Morning Glory Muffins
- 3/4 cup Arrowroot Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 5 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 Raw Carrot, medium, peeled and grated
- 1 organic Apple, small, grated (with skin)
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Pineapple, crushed, squeezed and drained
- 1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to bake at 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with parchment muffin papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the arrowroot flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend together the maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Using a box grater, shred the carrots, and apple, and set aside.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and blend with a hand mixer, until the batter is smooth.
- Add the shredded carrot and apple to the batter, and blend again with the hand mixer to combine.
- Stir in the raisins, crushed pineapple, and chopped pecans.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Serve with grass-fed butter or ghee.